Announcement: Update to Administrative Plan
The Town of Union Housing Authority has prepared a draft Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Administrative Plan update. The proposed plan can be found here: Click Here
Comments will be accepted until 4:00pm on January 19th. The Town Board will hold a public hearing at the January 19th meeting at 7:00pm in the second floor conference room. After the hearing is closed, the Town Board will vote on the plan.
The Town of Union Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is now offering online services!
For information on the Waiting List and to apply at WaitListCheck, please Click Here.
To set up or access your online account through AssistanceConnect, please Click Here
COVID-19 Information & Resources for Renters
Please find below information and resources regarding COVID-19, Town of Union Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program policies and temporary program flexibilities, and resources related to COVID-19, evictions, and health and safety during this time.
- HUD Eviction Moratorium- Applies to all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program participants
- NYS COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020 (eviction moratorium through May 31, 2021
- New York State Executive Order No. 202.28 (NYS Eviction Moratorium through 12/31/2020)
- HUD Coronavirus Resources for Renters
- Information and Resources for Tenants during COVID-19- July 2020 (including information on preventing evictions due to non-payment, COVID-19 Information & Safety Concerns, Protections for Domestic & Sexual Violence, and Services & Resources) - Tenant Brochure- Avilable in Multiple Languages
- Preventing Evictions during COVID-19- Information for Landlords
- HCV Landlord Resources from HUD
- CDC Eviction Suspension-November 2020 Flyer
- HUD COVID-19 FAQ
- Eviction Moratorium FAQ- updated 11/18/2020
- The New York Fed has put together a resource center where individuals, businesses, and non-profits can find out what's available in terms of assistance at the federal, state, and city level: New York Fed Coronavirus Resource Center
- Broome County COVID-19 Resources
- Find Shelter Tool (information on shelter, food, clothing, and health clinics available in your community)
- Find Shelter FAQ
Town of Union Section 8 Office Operations
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Town of Union Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is implementing a number of flexibilities in regard to its operational procedures and policies, (including but not limited to annual recertification, inspections, vouchers, and interim changes), per Notice PIH 2020-05 issued by the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on April 10, 2020, Notice PIH 2020-13 issued July 2, 2020, & Notice PIH 2020-33. Please find information regarding these waivers at the following link: Town of Union Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Waivers & Alternative Requirements (updated December 2020)
The office operates by appointment only. Please contact the appropriate staff person below via phone or email with your questions or concerns or if you require special accomodations regarding informational brochures and resources listed on this page.
Carol Krawczyk, Clerk
General program inquiries, applications
Mary Lou Fahs, Senior Section 8 Housing Coordinator
New Admissions, Waiting List inquiries, portability inquiries
Gina Suhadolnik, Clerk
Annual recertification, interim changes (including changes in income and moves)
Scott Cramer, HQS Inspector
Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspections
Resources for those facing domestic violence and/or mental health issues:
1. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7 in more than 170 languages at 1-800-799-7233; all calls are toll-free and confidential. Those who need help but are unable to speak safely can text LOVEIS to 22522 or chat online: https://www.thehotline.org/what-is-live-chat.
2. When someone calls 1-800-656-HOPE, they are connected with a Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN) support specialist or a local center from RAINN’s network of more than 1,000 sexual assault service providers throughout the country. Those in need may also chat one-on-one with at trained specialist anytime online: https://hotline.rainn.org/online.
3. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) Disaster Distress Helpline is a 24/7 national hotline to provide immediate crisis counseling for people experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. Toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all U.S. residents by calling 1-800-985-5990 or texting TalkWithUs to 66746.
- pdf How The Housing Choice Voucher Program Works
- pdf Final Eligibility Processing
- pdf Family Obligations
- pdf Informal Review Procedures
- pdf Grounds For Denial Of Assistance For An Applicant
- pdf Things You Should Know HUD 1140o
- pdf Housing Choice Voucher Fact Sheet
- pdf Tenant Based Voucher Information
- pdf Town of Union Section 8 Administrative Plan, 2/6/02 As Amended
- pdf What Does The PHA (Town of Union) Do Under the Housing Choice Voucher Program
- pdf Tenant Outreach Newsletter - June 2019