Curb & Gutter / Sidewalk Replacement

The Town of Union Engineering Department has an annual curb and gutter and sidewalk replacement contract where damaged curb and gutter or sidewalk is replaced at no cost to the homeowner. The Engineering Department has an ongoing list of complaints, each spring the contract is awarded and the DCPW-Engineering performs a site visit to each complaint to verify and mark the damaged sections. The amount of curb and gutter and sidewalk that is marked each year is based on what the bid prices come in at. In some cases the replacement might take two construction seasons before we are able to accomplish the work. The Town will not replace curb and gutter that is in good condition to remove or add a driveway entrance; this is the responsibility of the homeowner.  Where there are sidewalks, the Town is not responsible for the driveway aprons (area between the sidewalk and curb and gutter). This area is treated as a driveway. If the apron is in disrepair it is the responsibility of the homeowner to hire someone to repair it.  It is important to note that there are many streets in the Town in which the gutter portion is paved over. If this is the case and we replace the curb we will NOT pave back over the gutter. We will cut further into the road and/or driveways to make the transition smoother. There are many cases where tree roots cause the sidewalk or curb and gutter to heave. Trees that are in the Town Right-of-Way may be cut down by the Highway Department depending on the severity of the upheaval. If the tree causing the upheaval is on private property the property owner will be notified of the problem. The Town’s contractor will remove enough of the root system to replace the sidewalk or curb and gutter. Neither the Town nor the contractor will be held responsible if the tree dies due to the roots being removed.
Curb & Gutter InstallationIf a Town street has no curb and gutter a homeowner can request to have them installed. Each homeowner will pay for half of the installation cost of curb and gutter. This will include installing the curb and gutter and any restoration work to lawns and driveways. Items that will not be charged to the homeowner include storm sewer installation and road resurfacing. The minimum amount of curb that will be installed is one block both sides of the road. A formal request needs to be submitted to the Engineering Department which will prepare the required paperwork needed to proceed with the request. Once the requestor receives the paperwork they must visit each person that owns property within the limits of the request. Those in agreement with the petition will sign; those not in favor will not sign. Keep in mind that if there are two names on the petition, indicating joint ownership, both parties must sign in order for that property to qualify as a “yes” vote. If at least 50% of the overall frontage (not 50% of the properties) signs in favor of the petition the process to contract the work will be started by the Engineering Department. The Engineering Department will verify if 50% of the frontage has been met. Typically the curbs would be installed the following year. Once the project is completed the homeowners can pay their portion in a lump sum or have it added to their taxes and paid over a five year period.