Certificates Of Occupancy

New buildings and additions are required to be issued a Certificate of Occupancy prior to occupying the structure. A request must be made by the owner or contractor to Code Staff requesting a final inspection. Most building permits are issued with a condition that a Certificate of Occupancy is obtained. Most lending institutions now require a certificate prior to issuing a mortgage. The certificates state that the construction is in compliance with the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code and the Town of Union Zoning Ordinance.

Existing buildings are issued a letter from the Code Enforcement Staff stating that the building is a legal nonconforming use and that the use may continue in accordance with the provisions of the Town Zoning Ordinance. These letters are also necessary when properties are sold.