REFUSE / RECYCLING
Yard Waste collection begins April 4, 2016 and ends
December 1,2016. The Town of Union encourages
backyard composting of yard waste. For material that is not
composted, citizens may place yard waste in refuse cans at the curb
for pick up on regular yard waste collection days. Except for weeks with Town Observed Holidays. (click here for those dates)
Live Christmas trees (no tree bags) must be taken to Highland Park, Glendale Park, William Hill Park or Choconut Center Park, during normal business hours, by February 1st for disposal.
Grass Clippings and Leaves
- Must be placed in garbage cans not to exceed 33 gallons in
volume and not weighing more than 50 pounds.
- NO BAGS OR CARDBOARD BOXES WILL BE ALLOWED.
Brush and Branches
- Must be tied in manageable bundles along the curb, no longer
than 6 feet in length, weighing no more than 50 pounds and with all
branches in one direction (butts toward the roadway).
- Brush with thorns should be bundled separately.
- Without prior approval, only limited amounts of brush can be
picked up at any location.
- Anything over 2 inches in diameter is not considered brush.
The following will not be collected
- Waste from tree removal or site clearing.
- In the fall, the Town also offers loose leaf collection.
Residents may rake leaves out to the curb for pick up. (see
Highway's web page for specifics)
How the service is obtained
Yard waste collection is automatically provided to the community on
scheduled yard waste days.
There are no separate fees associated with leaf or yard waste
Inquires or Concerns
Individuals with concerns about yard waste collection may call the
Refuse/Recycling Department at 786-2980. For information on backyard
leaf composting, call the Broome County Cooperative Extension at
772-8953 ext. 130.